Friday, June 15, 2007

Half-Finished Projects...

So, it's apparently that time in my "cycle" (what cycle that would be, I'm not sure, but I definitely have a crafting cycle) where I am craft-manic. I start 5,000 projects before I finish one, and end up with about 2 or 3 cool things out of the mania. Happens all the time.

I finished the baby blanket early, and that just sparked the fire. Today, I made Brenda a pretty new hippie-sundress out of an old skirt I would've never, ever fit into again (sigh.. I was THAT little? Really?), and I am jealous of it:


Eww, I know... why is the picture so blurry? I'm a little shaky (I had another fainty-feeling/dizzy/nauseated/hot/sweaty/am I gonna pass out thing earlier, I'm ok now and my mother-in-law came over until I was ok), that's probably why. Here's a close-up of the fabric I used:


Cool, huh? It was my favorite skirt, and I didn't know what I was going to do with it now that it doesn't fit me anymore. I'm glad I made a dress for Brenda, now it goes to my only girl... sniff. It only took about 2 1/2 hours (yeah, that's what I did while Luke napped, so? I know my house is filthy. I needed some crafting time), handsewn, no pattern (pshhh. Patterns are for sissies. :P). I also have a big scrap of the fabric left, I think I want to make a quilt or maybe a patchwork apron for myself with it. Hmm... Oh yeah. Also, it looks REALLY good on her, I will take pictures tomorrow as she is in bed now. It's SO cute. Love. I thought I'd care that the pattern didn't line up in the back a lot more than I do, but it looks so pretty on her that it ceased to matter. And I will just never do a dress pattern that needs straight lines to line up again. It frustrated me so.

And now, on to some unfinished projects. First, we have the plastic shopping bag recycled from plastic bags. Now, I have a legitamate excuse for not having this one done... I lost it. For like a week. However, that gave me ample time to collect more interesting bags than just plain old grocery bags (though I'm using them, too), and this is what it's looking like as of now:


Not exactly pretty, but definitely cool. Will for sure use it when it's done, for shopping. The thing about this that takes the most time is cutting the bags into thin, long strips. I will gladly hire someone to do it and pay them in dinners, if someone else wants the job. My scissors are starting to make my thumb hurt.

Next we have:


Is it... seaweed? Is it ALIVE?! No, it is a... something. Well, it WAS my tablecloth, I can tell you that much.

I cut my tablecloth into strips and started tying it into circles, and linked the circles into chains. I have a kind of.. chain-mail... thing. I started as a rag-rug for our new (YAY!) kitchen, but I then realized it wasn't quite right, after all. Then Tim said that it'd be cool as a net, over Luke's bed (kind of like the... umm.. army.. net... things? You know what I'm talking about. I'm not too into the army (as you might imagine), so I'm not sure what they're called, or even what they're for.), then *I* thought it'd be a cool net to hang on the wall for his stuffed animals, and THEN I thought, hey! that'd be an AWESOME curtain for a little boy's room! Then I said to myself.. wow, this really looks like a big hunk of seaweed. Either way, I will keep working on it, and I predict it will be going *SOMEwhere* in Lucien's bedroom.

Now, on top of all of this, I have to get crackin' on making some little things for my kids' birthdays, which are fast approaching. I haven't even thought of it, so I'd probably better get a move on. I think I might make Brenda some pretty, flowy skirts to wear to school (SCHOOL!?), maybe crochet her some pretty bandanas for her pretty head. She's easy to think of things to make for her, she's a girl. Lucien, however, is a different story. I'm thinking about making him another pair of slippers (the only pair he ever liked and would leave on his feet, alas they have up and walked right out of the building), I might get him some plain tee-shirts and embroider a little punk skull on them or something. We'll see. Maybe their only presents will be accessories to decorate their brand new bedrooms (again with the YAY!).

I am so freaking tired, I probably should take this opportunity to go sleep peacefully for an hour and a half before Tim gets home (oh yeah, Lucien went to his big-boy bed with no complaints today and is sleeping soundly. Amazed, am I). But I wanna MAKE stuff! Waah!

Also, for your enjoyment, I would like to present to you this lovely blog. This woman may be my new idol. I'm not sure if I want to BE her, or just wish she was my best friend. Either way, I have a giant girl-crush and now must read her. And to think I only stumbled accidentally onto the blog. It's just so.... pretty. It makes me have warm fuzzies.

Well, I think I will make myself a snack and go pick which craftie I want to pick up and work on until my boy is home. I miss him. A lot. A really lot.

No comments: