Friday, June 1, 2007

It's (Peanut Butter) Jelly Time!!!

At the request of a reader (I have a readers! :D) I am posting my juice jelly and tea jelly recipes. Enjoy, lady!

Juice Jelly
(5 half pints)
4 cups of 100% juice of any kind, must be unsweetened
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1 package of regular powdered fruit pectin
4 1/2 cups of sugar

Pour the fruit juice and lemon juice into a big, heavy pot (soup pot?). Sprinkle with pectin, let stand for a couple of minutes. Stir to dissolve. Bring to a full rolling boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Stir in sugar and return to full rolling boil, stirring often. Boil hard 1 minute with constant stirring action. Remove from heat, quickly skim off foam with a metal spoon.

Ladle immediately into hot, sterilized 1/2 pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids. Process in boiling-water canner for 5 minutes. Remove from water and cool on racks until set.



Tea Jelly
(4 half pints)
2 1/2 cups water
6 tea bags whatever flavor you like
1 cup unsweetened WHITE grape juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 package regular powdered fruit pectin
3 cups sugar

Combine water and tea bags in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and measure 2 cups of tea. Place tea in a big soup pot, add the grape juice and lemon juice. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring mixture to a full boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off foam, ladle immediately into jars, with 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim and threads with a clean damp cloth and adjust lids. Screw band down evenly and firmly until resistance is met and you can fit a fingertip between the jar and the band.

Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.

Mmm. Home made jelly.

4 comments:

pollyhyper said...

Of course you have readers!!!

Yum, I can not wait to try these recipes. When you start canning, maybe you could post an idiot's guide. It's so intimidating!

Ashlee Rose said...

I'll see what I got... I just started myself a couple of years ago! It is still intimidating for me. But still exciting.

Unknown said...

Those sound so good! I am glad you posted them.

sv said...

Ack, the digs blogosphere is turning incestuous! And by that I mean, I tag you. Come see my blog, learn your task and then good luck finding people to pass it on to who've not already been scooped up by other digsters. Which is not to imply you don't have non-digs blogfriends, just that I don't. love, BEL.