Saturday, June 9, 2007

She can cook, part 2

So I forgot where I was going with this... oh yeah. Recipes. Proof that I cook. Validation of my mothering skills. Right. :P
Ok, so breakfast burritos... super easy, and lasts all week, if you let it. Very, very yummy. I am eating the last one right now. Yes, as I type. I am multi-tasking, what?!


Breakfast Burrito Filling

About 1 lb. ground pork sausage/fake veggie sausage
1 cup of corn (white or yellow)
1 cup of black beans (if you use dried beans, cook them first)
1 cup of salsa (no chopping tomatoes, onions, peppers etc. at 8 in the morning!)
about 3 Tablespoons of taco seasoning mix (*Hanging head in shame.. yes I use mix*)
6-8 eggs, beaten with a splash of milk
Soft tortillas


Fry up the sausage however you like to. Make sure it's adequately crumbled, and drain it. Put it back into the pan, add about 1/2 cup of water and the taco seasoning. Mix it together, and cook on high until the water is pretty well reduced. Don't forget to stir it often, or else you will have meat stuck to the bottom of your pan. Not fun.


Turn down the heat to medium, medium high. Add in the corn, beans, and salsa. Cook a bit, stir a bit, etc. Move all of that mixture in the pan already to the side, or into a separate bowl.


Pour the eggs into the empty (or empty part) of the frying pan. Scramble a bit, make sure it's cooked well enough to your liking. Stir back in the meat mixture and cook some more.


That is the filling. Add shredded cheese, sour cream, refried beans, lettuce, taco sauce, hot sauce, whatever, into the tortilla and fold and enjoy.


I either put the whole bowl of filling in the fridge to fill tortillas as I want one (leave in the fridge a week, tops), or fill some tortillas with with the filling and toppings (I don't do lettuce), wrap them up in foil and throw them in the freezer. Preheat an oven 400 degrees, and cook for about 30-40 minutes, or you can freeze them in plastic wrap and cook in the microwave for hmm... 3-5 minutes, I'd say, on high.



Pizza Salad

1 cup sour cream
1 cup cream cheese
1-2 cloves of garlic, diced fine
1 tsp. onion flakes (I'm not sure if that's what they're called, that's what I call them)
1 tsp. parsley
Any other herbs you like... dill, chives, basil etc.
Assorted veggies, diced or shredded
Shredded cheddar cheese
Pizza crust (cooked)
Process sour cream and cream cheese in a food processor or blender (a hand mixer would work, too). Add in the garlic, onion flakes and herbage. Blend until well combined. Spread on a cooled pizza crust. Top with the veggies and cheddar cheese. Chill for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight, to let the flavors blend.
That's it! Cut into pizza slices (or small squares for a party) and serve.
More recipes to come. I'm sure you're all waiting anxiously. :)

No comments: